Saturday, November 7, 2009

Rockin' 190cm

This winter, go back with me, old-school style, to the fashionable long ski... Yes, you can take a vicarious ride on my newly acquired classic Nordic skis. Once I get some wax on these babies and a pair of size 7 1/2 boots, I will be rockin' these 190'cm planks. On sale, ten dollars, made exclusively for Silva by SKIS Inc.

When I was a kid, my cousins, brother and I measured our skis for the appropriate length by holding up our wrists. If the pointed tip of the ski touched our wrists, we could be sure the ski was the right length. Over twenty years have passed since my childhood ski days. After the invention of parabolic, midget skis and helmets that plug into iPods, nostalgia and pretty wood colors motivated me to snag these HUSKI classics sporting three-pin bindings. [All thanks to this week's Boulder High School Annual Nordic Ski Swap (Check link for dates). ] According to the wrist rule, these skis are exactly the right length.

Daydreams of light and fast ascents get my magic snowbones itchin'-- that is to say, I share a common anxiety with my other, fellow skiers. Together we kneel and ask into dark, starry Nederland nights, "When will it snow!" The season is upon us. Anticipate blog updates of backyard backcountry ascents on these long, light Huskis.

The Details: Soft wood upper, fiberglass bottoms, no metal edges; but with roughly 70mm underfoot, this may be the ideal uphill powder ski. Requires copious waxing.

The Question: Will it turn?

The commerce of trading, acquiring, and selling ski gear is an annual fall affair.The ski-swap has long been a fall bargain-ritual celebrated in times of my youth. From the obscure Macintosh Apple growing region of Apalatian-Skylands mountain ski resorts, now, I celebrate the apple cider-sweet ski-wap in Boulder, where Nordic has it's own, dedicated, well-attended bazar.

Having grown-up on mostly hand-me-down gear, I am a fan of ski-bum deals. To fulfill my list of "seasonal gear upgrades," I am spending hunt-time on Craigslist Boulder, The Sports Recycler and using word of mouth to find warm, thin-billed, three-pin boots for use with these old Rottefella bindings.

Finally, these skis are beautiful. Check out the picture link.

(Peace to the East Coast Crew. These skis will definitely NOT turn on ice. -From the little girl who danced in her pajamas to Run-DMC and Aerosmith singing "Walk This Way" 1986-87,)

-The Kayak Ninja

No comments: